Monday, July 2, 2007

Hindsight and Foresight: Yankee Review June 25 to July 8th

I've been having Paul O'Neil moments of late since taking a breather in Charleston. These moments involve me getting pissed and throwing something. The first instance was at the UMass softball game Friday night when swinging on the first pitch I popped up to LF (but redeemed myself later with an RBI double). I threw the bat down somewhat hard in disgust. Later that evening the team was playing flip cup at the bar and being the last to go, I couldn't flip the cup and the other team just beat me out. Swatting at the cup, it was launched in the face of a girl sitting next to me (my apologies again, whatever your name was). Later I screwed up again and crushed the cup on the table, oh so manly of me.

In any event, yesterday I was home watching the Yankees game and watched Pettitte get shelled in the 2nd inning. Luckily I punched at the couch (didn't throw it or the laptop) and even smarter I simply turned my MLB.TV to the Red Sox game so my head wouldn't explode all over the living room. I'm not sure how much more I can watch L's go across the board. This first half of this season needs to end quickly so that they can put it behind them and reflect on themselves. And maybe I need to reflect a bit too since I still need to support the team but am having a hard time dealing with how to do that this year.

Hindsight: June 25th to July 1st

The Yankees wrapped up their road trip going 1-7 with one game on hold where they're up 8-6 (a game I was at by the way--I will comment on something I heard during that game this week) in Baltimore. This last month alone, the Yankees have been shut out three times. And the team is frustrated as displayed by comments by Jorge Posada and Scott Proctors' burning of his glove and other equpment to vanguish the demons who took hold of his pitching Tuesday night where he walked three in the bottom of the ninth, walking in the winning run. The next night the Yankees continued to fail to provide Roger Clemens with run support giving him nothing--yes, zero runs to work with--putting win number 350 on hold. Since Clemens' return, the Yankees offense has provided him with eight runs in five starts--or 1.6 run/game (and those shutouts this month, two of them were when Clemens pitched). Then the rains came Thursday night, delaying the game twice until July 27th. But I have to say, being at the game was pretty exciting espeically Jeter's 2-run single in the pouring rain. Back at home, the Yanks didn't do a whole lot against the A's. Chad Gaudin one-hit the offense on Saturday as Igawa left the ball up--one, two, three times--which all resulted in HRs. And yeterday's loss, well you know how I felt about that one.


Weekly Stats

W-L: 1-4

RS/RA: 17/25

Offensive Numbers (BA/OBP/SLG): .212/.312/.295 (TRULY OFFENSIVE!!)

Pitching Line (ERA/Whip/K per 9/BAA/SLG): 5.54/1.65/4.29/.308/.472

Who's Hot: Mike Mussina pitched a good game Friday night. Over his last five starts Mussina has a 2.97 ERA (9 ER in 27.2 IP with 24 Ks), lowering his season ERA from 5.63 to 4.63.

Who's Not: Mrs. Alex Rodriguez.

My Yankee of the Week: Jorge Posada for speaking up. I haven't read what he actually said, and I heard it was in the media (not the best choice), but Posada's been the Yankee catcher since Girardi left in 1999 so the team will listen.

Foresight: July 2nd to July 8th

Before the All-Star break, the Yankees continue the homestand against the Twins and Angels--the Angels of course leading the AL West and have had the Yankees number since 2002. The July 4th game will feature Johan Santana, so I guess if you're up for seeing another shutout be watching that one. The Yankees then face Colon, Lackey, and Santana to finish up the first half. I am really hoping the Minnesota series is split before the Angels sweep the Yankees at home, which would leave their first half record at 39-46 and many eons behind the Red Sox.

Now that it's July, trade talk is heating up. I continue to read that the Yankees won't go after Teixara 1) because he's injured and 2) they'd have to give up too many prospects that they're trying to rebuild this team with. If the Yankees make any sort of trade they should go for a relief pitcher. Torre has abused many arms already--Proctor, Vizcaino, Myers--to name a few, and the bullpen itself will need relief (pun intended) if they're pushing for the playoffs. Now who do they go after--I honestly don't know all the relievers in the game that well to focus in on the right one. But definetely someone who can get outs, not blow a lead too often, and who is up for some Torre bullpen abuse.

No comments: