Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Time to catch up...

Well, on a purely housekeeping note, I'll soon need to surrender my borrowed laptop and sketchy wireless connection, so I guess it's time to call ComCast...

Glad to hear that Teddy's relatively comfortable - I know I can promise him better than WalMart-style accomodations next month...

I though I had missed out on big news this week regarding Verlander's no-hitter, until I found out it happened tonight - good for him. The guy's a rock star, and will no doubt be the subject of a Sox-Yankees free agent bidding war in a few years...

So last week was pretty brutal - four losses in a row (1 against the Yanks, 3 against the A's) and the fact that they scored only 3 runs in the last 3 games against the A's was something of a harbinger.

Fortunately, the Sox woke up against the Diamondbacks (J.D. Drew in particular) and even though they lost Sunday (Dice-K is rapidly becoming the Japanese Pedro - great starts, lousy run support), they stil exceeded my expectations.

Tonight was a fast game - I came in when Wake gave up his first run of the evening to push the game into a 1-1 tie. In the 8th the Sox had a chance to do a lot more than they did, but J.D. Drew's sac fly was enough - still a mere 2 runs against the combined forces of Aaron Cook and Jeremy Friggin' Affeldt?

Tomorrow pits Curt Schilling against Josh Fogg in a perfect trap game. This is Schilling's first start since his near no-hitter - hopefully there will be some momentum from that. I've always liked Fogg, so I have my creeping dread that tomorrow night will be the night he makes good on his promise.

Thursday is the marquee matchup - Beckett and Jeff Francis. Francis still hasn't become the all-world pitcher he was projected to be, but he has his moments. I'm counting on Beckett to continue his dominance.

As a result of scheduling, Schilling will not have the opportunity to walk Barry Bonds 7 times - but unless he really turns it on, he doesn't stand to break Aaron's record this week anyway.

Both series should be easy sweeps for the Red Sox - the Rockies and the Giants are both the dregs, so this should give the Sox the chance to build on their league-leading winning percentage.

No comments: