Saturday, October 13, 2007

Can't Help It

Even though the Yankees season is over, I'm still watching the playoffs which is why I'm in on a Saturday night watching the Red Sox, Indians game. This is a quick post, but I wanted to say that I'm rooting for the Indians and Rockies to go to the World Series. Here's why...

I'll start with the easier argument the Rockies. This is one of those teams who defy that argument that the top teams based on the regular season are more likely to succeed in the playoffs. I think the Rockies in part got lucky but they also earned it. What I love about the Rockies being in this is that this is only their second time, have been a unsuccessful expansion team for much of its history, and are the underdog. Forget about winning 18 in the last 19 games, no one expected them to be here or even have a record over .500 during the season.

The harder argument to make is the Indians due to the context of this blog. Let me start by saying, at the beginning of the season I picked the Indians to win the World Series. That was not too far fetched as many experts (I'm not in that field) gave the Indians a chance. This has nothing to do with the Red Sox or being a Yankee fan. I have loved watching Cleveland as a franchise rebuild itself and making it clear to its fans, "hey, we were great in the 1990s, but the best way for us to get back into winning a World Series is to cut fat and start over again." And that's what they've done in the last seven years or so--building through the farm system without signing the big free agents. I've loved how they for years said CC Sabathia was going to be the staff ace and he's proved he is more and more every year. And I love quite a few of their players as a fan of baseball--Sizemore, Carmona, Hafner, and Martinez. We got a taste of them almost making it to the playoffs in 2005 and last year was a lessons learned kinda season, but this year they have been great fun to watch.

So Indians v Rockies is my updated prediction and the Indians will win it in six games.

No comments: